Exemplory instance of comparison essay in theory of literature: the essential difference between classicism and sentimentalism
Literature is an unique form of art that can help to know the present-day history and also to know how the main tendencies of social development in past times were created.
Talk about formation of styles at the start of essay
The aesthetics of classicism, which developed in Western European culture during the end of the seventeenth century, determined the ideological content of literary works, the strict system of poetic rules in addition to maxims of plot construction, reflecting the thought of orderliness and excellence associated with the universe, nature and society.
The “sensitive” literature of sentimentalism that emerged within the last half of this eighteenth century was meant to teach and educate on examples and pictures that cause empathy, which awakens high feelings, guided because of the indisputable fact that all evil could be overcome.
Within our literature as much as the start of the XIX century, classicism and sentimentalism developed, complementing one another and pursuing the same goal: to produce society perfect, by affirming the rational principles of morality in addition to rules of human behavior. Methods to achieve this goal in the philosophy of classicism were thought as the assertion associated with the supremacy of order, form, hierarchy and were predicated on a definite division of creative designs and genres. The theorists of classicism paid unique attention to drama and poetry. Epic poems and tragedies in which the basis regarding the plot is definitely important historic events, and actors – the gods and strongest of the world, demanded a lofty poetic composition, ruled spatial turns. They certainly were related to the “high” genre.
The spoken language and stylistically lowered images could simply be contained in satires, fables and comedies, which fixed this is of “low” genres. Obligatory observance for the unity of time, place, action and guidelines of constructing tragedy and drama with publicity, zygote, development of action, culmination and resolution limited the likelihood of stage-based discovery of images, but emphasized i need a essay written the inviolability of order, the connection of cause and impact, clarity expression of this main idea of the task. Sentimentalism allowed more freely to use the way of artistic expression. Attention to household details, a description of emotional experiences, the image for the internal realm of guy along with his closeness to nature demanded and new literary forms. The epistolary genre, sentimental novel, travel records come in the literary works. The growth of sentimentalism greatly expanded the number of choices of artistic prose and caused it to be more democratic: the eye of both writers and visitors had been the fate of an ordinary person, clear, near, causing interest and compassion.
In closing of essay give brief comparison of styles
Thus, the essential difference between classicism and sentimentalism is as follows:
- The subject of the image when you look at the works of classicism are essential, meaningful occasions that determine the fate of somebody who is obliged to obey the founded purchase while the determined course of events.
- In the center of attention of writers – sentimentalists – the inner world of heroes, with the capacity of deeply feel and experience.
- Classicism is a literary trend when the foundation associated with the artistic method could be the division of works into “high”, “medium” and “low” genres.
- Sentimentalism won’t have such a division, because its task would be to teach the senses, using a wide range of visual opportinity for this purpose.
- The main genres of classicism are the epic poem, tragedy, ode, drama, heroic tale, comedy, satire and fable.
- Genres characteristic of sentimentalism really are a novel, letters, diaries, travel notes.
- Classicalism argued educational tips on the basis of the subordination of personal feelings of debt to society.
- Representatives of sentimentalism considered the inner realm of heroes as a harmonious whole.
- They thought that educating a single individual, you can easily enhance the whole society.