Exemplory instance of comparison essay the theory is that of literature: the essential difference between classicism and sentimentalism
Literature is a unique types of art that can help to comprehend the present-day history also to know the way the primary tendencies of social development in past times were created.
Come up with formation of styles at the start of essay
The aesthetics of classicism, which developed in Western European culture during the end of the seventeenth century, determined the ideological content of literary works, the strict system of poetic rules plus the maxims of plot construction, reflecting the thought of orderliness and perfection for the universe, nature and culture.
The “sensitive” literature of sentimentalism that emerged within the last half for the eighteenth century was meant to show and educate on examples and pictures that cause empathy, which awakens high feelings, guided because of the indisputable fact that all evil can be overcome.
Within our literature as much as the start of the XIX century, classicism and sentimentalism developed, complementing one another and pursuing exactly the same goal: to make society perfect, by affirming the logical principles of morality additionally the rules of human behavior. Approaches to achieve this goal in the philosophy of classicism were thought as the assertion associated with supremacy of order, form, hierarchy and were predicated on a definite division of artistic styles and genres. The theorists of classicism paid special attention to drama and poetry. Epic poems and tragedies where the foundation of the plot has become important historical occasions, and actors – the gods and strongest for this world, demanded a lofty poetic composition, ruled spatial turns. These people were caused by the “high” genre.
The spoken language and stylistically lowered pictures could simply be contained in satires, fables and comedies, which fixed this is of “low” genres. Obligatory observance regarding the unity of the time, place, action and guidelines of constructing tragedy and drama with visibility, zygote, development of action, culmination and resolution limited the likelihood of stage-based discovery of images, but emphasized the inviolability of order, the bond of cause and impact, quality expression associated with main concept of the task. Sentimentalism allowed more freely to utilize the method of creative expression. Attention to household details, a description of emotional experiences, the image associated with the internal world of man along with his closeness to nature demanded and new literary forms. The epistolary genre, sentimental novel, travel notes come in the literary works. The introduction of sentimentalism greatly expanded the possibilities of artistic prose and managed to make it more democratic: the interest of both article writers and readers had been the fate of a regular individual, clear, near, causing interest and compassion.
In closing of essay give brief comparison of styles
Thus, the essential difference between classicism and sentimentalism can be as follows:
- The subject of the image within the works of classicism are essential, significant activities that determine the fate of somebody who is obliged to obey the established order in addition to determined length of events.
- In the heart of attention of writers – sentimentalists – the inner realm of heroes, capable of deeply feel and experience.
- Classicism is just a literary trend where the basis regarding the artistic method is the division of works into “high”, “medium” and “low” genres.
- Sentimentalism won’t have such a division, because its task is always to educate the sensory faculties, using a wide range of visual opportinity for this purpose.
- The key genres of classicism are the epic poem, tragedy, ode, drama, heroic story, comedy, satire and fable.
- Genres attribute of sentimentalism certainly are a novel, letters, diaries, travel notes.
- Classicalism argued educational ideas in line with the subordination of personal feelings of debt to society.
- Representatives of sentimentalism considered the inner realm of heroes as a harmonious whole.
- They thought that educating a single individual, you can easily enhance the whole society.